Have you ever wondered why do we celebrate birthdays every year? It may seem like a silly question, but when you think about it, it’s actually quite interesting. After all, birthdays are a time for us to reflect on the past year and look ahead to the next one. But where did this tradition come from?
Different cultures celebrate birthdays in different ways. But the purpose is always the same-to celebrate life and another year of existence. While some cultures believe birthdays are a time for reflection and self-improvement. Others believe it’s a time to party and enjoy the company of friends and family.
No matter how you celebrate, we all mark this special day in our lives with joy and happiness. Let’s look at the history and meaning of birthdays to understand why we celebrate them every year.
What is a Birthday?
A birthday is the anniversary of the day on which a person was born. It’s the annual occasion when we celebrate life and reflect on the past year.
Birthdays are a time-honored tradition celebrated worldwide by people of all ages. Now some birthdays are more important than others. Let’s say these are the milestone of birthdays:
- 1st birthday- The first anniversary of a baby’s birth.
- 10th birthday- Double digits. A big milestone for a kid.
- 16th birthday- The age at which you can get your driver’s license in most countries.
- 18th birthday- Becoming an adult and being able to vote in elections.
- 21st birthday- The legal drinking age in most countries.
- 30th birthday- A significant milestone marking the end of one’s youth.
- 40th birthday- Often called the “big 4-0”, another significant milestone.
- 50th birthday- Half a century. A major milestone birthday.
- 60th birthday- A time to reflect on one’s life and accomplishments.
- 70th birthday- A special birthday to celebrate long and happy life.
- 80th birthday- Another significant milestone, often called the “golden years.”
- 90th birthday- A rare and remarkable achievement worth celebrating.
- 100th birthday- A once-in-a-lifetime event, truly a momentous occasion.
While all birthdays are special, these milestone birthdays are often celebrated with even more joy and enthusiasm. After all, they only come around once.
Why Do We Celebrate Birthdays?
We celebrate birthdays to remember the day we came into existence, acknowledge another year of life lived, and appreciate the people who have been by our side through thick and thin. Perhaps it is all of these things.
- Birthdays are a time to reflect on the past and look ahead to the future. They are a time to celebrate the joys and overcome life’s challenges. And they are a time to show our loved ones how much we care.
- Birthdays are important because they remind us of how far we’ve come and how much we’ve accomplished. They give us a chance to take stock of our lives, set goals for the future, and reflect on the past.
- Birthdays are also a time to celebrate the people who have been by our side through thick and thin. Family, friends, and loved ones have all helped us to become the people we are today.
The History of Birthdays
Now there are different cultures with different beliefs about birthdays. Let’s see how some of them celebrate this special day.
The tradition of celebrating birthdays dates back to ancient times. The earliest birthday celebration dates back to ancient Egypt, over 4,000 years ago. The Egyptians believed that the gods gave humans life and visited Earth when a person was born. So they celebrated the anniversary of a person’s birth to honor the gods.
The tradition of celebrating birthdays continued throughout the middle ages. Fast-forward a few thousand years to medieval Europe, where birthday celebrations looked quite different. For one thing, people didn’t know when their exact date of birth was—birth certificates weren’t a thing yet—so they celebrated on the Feast of Saint John the Baptist instead. This was because most people were baptized that day, which became known as their “religious birthday.”
It wasn’t until the 19th century that birthday celebrations started to resemble what we would recognize today. The concept of giving gifts on someone’s birthday came from Germany in the 1800s, and Queen Victoria helped popularize the tradition of sending greeting cards when she sent one to her cousin Princess Feodora of Leiningen in 1848. The first commercially-produced birthday card was printed in England in 1875; the rest is history.
Related: Festive January Party Themes
Why Do We Celebrate Birthdays Today?
These days, birthdays are all about celebrating another year of life. And while gifts and cake are always nice, what we’re celebrating is that we’re alive. Birthdays are a reminder to appreciate life and all that comes with it—the good and the bad. With that in mind, here are a few ways to make the most of your birthday:
- Spend time with loved ones: Birthdays are a great excuse to get together with the people you care about most. Whether you have a small gathering at home or a big party with all your friends, take some time to enjoy the company of the people you love.
- Do something you enjoy: Birthdays are a great time to treat yourself to something you enjoy, whether it’s a new book, a day at the spa, or your favorite dessert. Take some time for yourself and do something that makes you happy.
- Reflect on your life: Birthdays can be a time for reflection, both on the past year and your life as a whole. Take some time to consider your accomplishments and goals and what you want to achieve in the coming year.
Related: Pre Birthday Celebration
How to Remember Birthdays?
To be honest, remembering birthdays isn’t always easy. With so many people in our lives, it’s tough to keep track of everyone’s special day. But there are a few things you can do to make sure you don’t forget:
- Set a reminder: One of the best ways to remember a birthday is to set a reminder in your phone or calendar. That way, you’ll get a notification a few days before the big day so you can make sure to send a card or buy a gift.
- Make a list: Another helpful way to remember birthdays is to keep a list of all your friends and family members’ birthdays in one place. You can write it down in a notebook or keep it on your computer. That way, you can refer to it whenever you need to.
- Set up a group chat: If you have a lot of friends with birthdays around the same time, consider setting up a group chat where everyone can share their birthday plans. That way, you can all wish each other a happy birthday and make sure everyone’s special day is celebrated.
- Use social media: Social media can be a great way to remember birthdays. Many platforms have features that allow you to see when your friends’ birthdays are, and some even let you set up reminders. So if you’re forgetful, take advantage of those tools.
- Use any mobile app: There are a ton of different mobile apps that can help you remember birthdays. You can use nouri to send birthday cards, reminders, and gifts, or you can try Birthday Tracker, which lets you keep track of all your friends and family members’ birthdays in one place.
Wrapping It Up: Why We Celebrate Birthdays
In the end, birthdays are all about celebrating life. They remind us to appreciate the people and things we have in our lives and make the most of every day.
So whether you’re spending time with loved ones, doing something you enjoy, or reflecting on your life, take some time to celebrate your birthday and cherish another year of life. Happy birthday.
Related: What is a Golden Birthday?